- Award winning stylish design
- Choice of colours
- Suitable for mild to severe loss
- Great value for money
- Incorporates Phonak’s SPICE technology
- Multiple programmes
- Wireless connectivity
The Phonak Audeo S1 is only available in one model configuration; the Smart. Higher up the technology scale there are options but hearing aid manufacturers use a number of methods to differentiate their ranges that all carry the same fundamental processing technology. The Smart is a receiver in the canal hearing aid which also incorporates wireless technology. The positioning of the receiver outside of the case makes for a neat, small product and if you use products such as phones, mobiles and television with a wireless capacity this is a great value choice.
The Smart range is a second generation evolution of the Audeo, with the most significant difference being the upgrade from the CORE technology to the SPICE platform. It results in faster sound processing addressing one of the limitations of listening to processed rather than natural sound – it’s a bit like eliminating the sound delay on a satellite news link.
Technology statistics to aid comparison and for the technically minded include:
- Anti-feedback system – Whistleblock – this should provide whistle free usage.
- Noise cancellation – Noiseblock – available now on most hearing aids, this is Phonak’s noise cancellation system designed to combat background noise.
- High frequency focus – Soundrecover – this feature maintains an overall natural sound while improving the higher frequencies which are typically the biggest issue for many users
- Multiple programmes – these can be tailored by the hearing aid audiologist for individual requirements
- 4 channels – not the highest number of channels available but for an entry level product this should provide a good outcome for most users.
- Directionality – Ultrazoom in its most basic format is available, so users can benefit from binaural directionality and the consequent improvement in speech intelligibility.
The Phonak Audeo can pair with a number of accessories which include the Phonak Compilot, TV Link S, Mypilot and PilotOne – please enquire with your hearing aid audiologist as to how these can benefit today’s high tech lifestyle.
The Phonak Audeo S1 Smart has enough of the great technology of the Audeo range and is still a very affordable product for most. Unless you need some of the additional functionality of the more expensive models this is a great solution or a perfect product for the first time user. As with most Phonak products, the aids are either stylish or quirky depending upon your view – let’s give them the benefit of the doubt and applaud Phonak for making the Audeo Smart look like a modern hearing aid.