Many people have trouble sleeping during the night, either because they are very light sleepers, have snoring spouses, noisy neighbours or live near a busy street. A lot of people resort to wearing ear plugs at night. Which, poses the question: Is sleeping with ear plugs a good idea?
Reduce Noise At Night With Ear Plugs[caption id="attachment_3879" align="alignright" width="300"] Moldex Ear Plugs[/caption] Regardless of the reason, lack of sound sleep has a negative effect on everybody's overall mental and physical condition. That is why people start looking for ways to have a quiet environment to rest properly and resort to sleeping with ear plugs. Ear plugs are a popular solution for blocking or lowering the volume of incoming outside noises. They are also vital for protecting the ear from dangerous environments such as a rock concert or heavy machinery. At Hearing Direct, you will find a selection of ear plugs to help you better protect your hearing. But if you're regularly trying to sleep in a noisy environment is it safe to use ear plugs?
What Are The Risks Of Sleeping With Ear Plugs?Many people wear them during the night to secure a good night's sleep. While ear plugs are quite useful, their application should be treated with care as they can cause problems ranging from discomfort and inconvenience to severe issues such as inner ear infections, tinnitus and hearing loss.
4 Risks of Sleeping with Ear Plugs:
1. Earwax Compaction & Infections:To avoid ear problems, one of the most important habits everyone should have is proper ear hygiene and regular checks with a specialist. The natural way the ear protects itself is through the secretion of earwax which guards from dirt, dust and small particles, and pushes them out of the ear canal. The wrong use of ear plugs can block this process and cause earwax compaction, which in turn can reach the eardrum and damage it. To avoid such situations, it is important to insert the ear plugs carefully and not push them too far into the ear canal. In addition, the earplugs do not let air flow in and out of the ear and interfere with the natural drying process of the ear. Collection of moisture and warmth in the ear and in the soft foam of the earplug can be a perfect environment for bacteria and fungi growth that can lead to serious ear infections so it is imperative to always use clean earplugs.
2. An Increase In Pressure:Another very important issue to consider is the air pressure created in the ear canal. During the night the earplug may be pressed further inside when you turn over. Increased pressure in the ear can cause discomfort and even pain. It is not recommended to remove the earplug immediately, however, because a quick change in pressure can damage the eardrum.
3. Tinnitus & Hearing Loss:In extreme cases, the inappropriate use of ear plugs can lead to irritations and infections. If they have been inserted too deep in the ear canal, they can cause ringing in the ears (tinnitus), vertigo or even some degree of hearing loss if the inner ear has been affected.
4. Other Dangers:Sleeping soundly is important. Although you should be careful when continuously sleeping with earplugs at night. It can create a dependency which may leave you unable to sleep again without them. Compromising your hearing can be dangerous in emergencies such as when you cannot hear a baby crying or a fire alarm.
Buy Your Ear Plugs From Hearing DirectWe supply a wholesome collection of ear plugs. With a range of brands, shapes and sizes available, we are confident you will find what you are after.
About Hearing DirectWe are one of the world's leading hearing aid specialists. HearingDirect offers a wide range of affordable products, as well as information resources to help improve the quality of life for the hard of hearing. We sell:
- Hearing aids,
- Accessories such as earplugs,
- and amplified devices such as super loud alarm clocks and amplified phones.